- Is there any paperwork I need to complete to participate in the FWS program?
- Students must complete the FWS Disclaimer, which is a requirement to access available FWS positions in JobX. Students will see this item show as a To Do List item on their myUCF. After accepting the Disclaimer in JobX, please allow 2-3 business days for the item to be removed from your To Do List on myUCF.
- Students will also need to complete a hiring packet in the department they accept a position in. The hiring packet includes providing their Driver’s License (or other acceptable form of identification), physical Social Security Card (no copies), award summary (printed from myUCF), and class schedule (printed from myUCF).
- Once hired, how will I get paid?
- After being hired into the UCF HR system by a department, you will receive biweekly paychecks according to the UCF payroll schedule. Paychecks are issued every other Friday via direct deposit which is established during the hiring process.
- How many hours can I work per week?
- Students can work up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. When classes are not in session (i.e. Spring break or between semesters), students can work up to 29 hours per week. Please note – students must remain within their award allotment so working hours must be monitored accordingly.
- How much will I be paid per hour?
- There are salary suggestions based on market research provided on our website for employers’ reference. However, it is at the discretion of the department to determine final salary based on the job description and whether raises will be allowed.
- Can I change jobs during the middle of term?
- It is recommended that students complete commitments made to departments (i.e. a student accepted a position with the expressed intent of remaining employed there for at least two semesters). However, it is still the student’s right to change jobs at will. As a professional courtesy, students should provide a 2-week notice of resignation to employers.
- Can I be terminated from an FWS job?
- Yes, students in the FWS program are hired into the UCF HR system like any other employee. Unsatisfactory performance in the areas of attendance, work ethics, student conduct, and/or violations of the FWS Disclaimer can lead to immediate termination of a student’s position.
- Will I receive a W2 for an FWS job?
- Yes, FWS students will receive a W2 from UCF detailing any income earned in a given calendar year. Any income earned from an FWS job will be excluded from income on the FAFSA for financial aid purposes, but it is possible that students would still need to file taxes with the IRS. Students should reference the IRS website to determine if they are required to file taxes.